Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Why does it have to be this way?

Why, you ask, are you where you are and doing what you are doing? The answer is FATE! Fate, "...the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed; that which is inevitably predetermined; destiny..." (dictionary.com). Everything in life happens for a reason, very clique I know, but I believe it to be a very true statement.

Many peple believe that they determine the fate of their life because they have made deicisions and choices to get them where they are, or want to be. However I believe that you may make your own decisions, but it is all part of the "plan" in order to help you get to the end of your journey. So while you think you are making a choice based on what you want to do/what you think you should do, it has already been decided that that was the choice you were suppose to make.

During August 2001, I remember my parents telling me that we would be moving from Minnesota to New Jersey and that I would have to say goodbye to my sister, brother, and all my friends. I thought it was the worst thing that could ever happen and that it was as though I was being punished for something, and I could not figure out what good would come from it, it meaning leaving my life behind me in Minnesota to go to a foreign place. Those first 3-6 months I never thought of it as fate and destiny, but once I settled down and realized the wonderful life that came from it, the relationship I formed with my parents, and all the new people I met my attitude and thoughts changed. It was fate that brought us to New Jersey. Moving was only the first challenge of my life that I would have to overcome, and that was what opened the doors and my eyes to see that it was only the beginning and I was still so young and naive.

Since then there have been friendships, relationships, fights, trips, marriages, new life brought into the world, and much more. All of which happened for a reason. All of these struggles and joys were the little humps of the "roller coaster of life" (that is designed before we are born and with out us knowing). You meet and make new friends in order to bring something different to your life, whether it be happines, saddness, joy, or sorrow it happened for a reason and helped develope you into who you are now. Whether you did or did not learn from it that was all apart of the plan. So get use to the heart ache and trials now, only to enjoy all the good and wonderful accomplishments that comes from fate in the end.

Death... this is one area of fate that is a real touchy subject, and until I experience losing someone I do not think I fully understood it. You dont' want them to go. You don't want to live and be happy with out them. You don't want to lose those memories over time. You don't want the smell and images to disappear. How ever, it is all apart of their fate and their life. Especially if they have suffered immensely it is time for that pain and suffering to go away. They have delt with it long enough, and they have lived their life to the fullest. It is their destiny to end it there.

On a larger scale, the terroristic attacks on Septemer 11, 2001, fate or not? As horrible as it may be to say, I beleive that those planes crashing into the towers was fate and already "planned." No, no one should lose their life, and no one should lose a loved one because of what happened that day. How ever you have to look at it in such a way that because of this even the United States has come together as 1 (more than in the past). Just like any horrible, tragic even that happens we study it and learn from it, just like we are able to with 9-11. Yes, it is horrible to believe that it was the fate of those people to die in such a tragic and horrific way, but maybe they had already fullfilled their "plan" and that is why they were there.

Everyone knows what awaits them at the end of their life, death. While you may believe that your life ended the way it did because you chose it that way, I disagree and believe that your life ended the way it did because that is how it was destined to end.

4 comments:

theteach said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
theteach said...

ate, predestination.... who or what determines this fate of which you write? Is there some beatific being that rules the galaxies? Is this fate determined by Natural Order?

Do you now the story of the Fates?

You are in good company with some philosophers and theologians. St. Augustine in his City of God offers a religious philosophy of predestination.

But what about the ideas of Socrates and Plato?

Are you disputing the Muslim teaching of free will?

If we all are victims of fate, then why should we bother to act in a moral way, adhere to social laws and conventions?

A book you may want to read is Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared McDonald.

Another book I recommend is The Art of Loving by Eric Fromm.

Take a look at Freud. Marx, and Jung.

zizzi said...

The thing I suggest to you is to get support from another source who believes what you do. A quote from them could do wonders. And although I agree with you on the whole fate issue, maybe a different subject other than 9-11 could have been used. Some thing maybe a little more distant in the past that would allow us to look at the terror it had without still feeling the fresh wounds of the event. Ya know what I mean?

And kudos to you for discussing this with out bringing up the issue of the "planner." I think that takes some talent. But I wonder if it would have made your argument stronger (if you believe in said Being.)

It would help the question that comes to mind, "well if it is all planned, who planned it?" I think that possibly more than one of your readers might ask that question.

Golden Gophers said...

I definately agree that I should have taken the time to do some research. I should have found textual support to better argue my thoughts/feelings on fate and predestination.

I did not discuss the idea of a "higher being" because that could have brought up a completely different arguement/topic. I, personally, believe that there is a "higher being" but by stating my thoughts on who I think this is I did not want to take away from someone else and who their "higher being" may be. I also think I did not mention anything because it is like a book where the reader has their own vision of a character, and then they see the movie with someone else visions and it is ruined. I did not want to impose my "higher being" on someone else and take away from theirs.

I also agree that I should have used another event from a more distant time, to better prove my point. I so was not thinking that 9/11 and the bringing up of it still hurts people. Only because being from Minnesota it does not have the same affect on me as someone from New York, so I am sorry about that.

Also I will look into the authors and books mentioned abov. Maybe I will find something of great interest, and to help me with my idea of fate and predestination.